On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 3
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Cake
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Member recipe
- Prep time:
- 3 hrs
- Cook time:
- 40 min
- Serves 4
An exciting trio of desserts to temptingly please any taste pallette. Within the trio there is sweet, sour, refreshing and a hint of surprise.
Method1. A trio of desserts
2. Lemon and lime ice sorbet and lemon curd shot
3. What to do:
4. In a bowl dissolve the sugar in the boiling water.
5. Remove the lemon and lime zest.
6. Add the zest to the sugar and water mixture.
7. Leave to cool.
8. Then add the juice of the lemon and lime to the mixture.
9. Pass the mixture through a sieve.
10. Cover the sorbet mixture and freeze overnight.
11. For the lemon curd pour the milk, cream and lemon zest into a pan and bring to the boil.
12. Then turn off the heat and leave it for thirty minutes.
13. Using an electric hand mixer (or by hand) in a bowl whisk the sugar and egg yolks until pale and fluffy.
14. Warm up the cream and lemon zest mixture then pour it into the egg mixture.
15. Whisk again until smooth and creamy.
16. In another pan cook the mixture until it becomes thick.
17. Pass the mixture through quite a fine sieve and add the lemon juice.
18. Stir in the softened gelatine until dissolved and then chill the mixture over a bowl of ice.
19. Then take out the sorbet (make sure it is softly frozen.)
21. To serve spoon some of the curd into the shot glass, then some sorbet, then some more curd and refrigerate until needed.
22. Rhubarb and custard filled sponge cake
23. What to do:
24. For the sponge firstly preheat the oven to 180c.
25. Then cream together the butter and the sugar.
26. Crack the eggs and add them and the flour to the mixture.
27. Stir well and then add the vanilla.
28. Grease two baking tins. (about 7 inch)
29. Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins.
30. Put the tins in the middle shelf of the oven to bake for about 15 minutes.
31. For the custard beat egg yolks and sugar together.
32. Then place the milk and cream in a saucepan, add the vanilla pod, and bring to the boil.
33. When boiling, take straight off of the heat and add the eggs.
34. keep stirring until cool.
35. Sieve it.
36. When cooked take out the cakes and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
37. For the rhubarb top and tail it.
38. Then slice it into 1 ½ cm chunks.
39. Heat the sugar in a pan and then add the rhubarb.
40. Heat up until soft.
41. Tip the cakes out from the tins.
42. Spread the custard on one half on one of the cakes.
43. On top of the custard put some rhubarb.
44. Place the other cake on top.
45. Cut into slices to serve.
46. Pop in your mouth raspberry jelly cubes with vanilla
47. Ice cream
48. What to do:
49. For the ice cream, put the sugar and the lemon zest in a pan with the water.
50. Scrape out the vanilla pod seeds with a spoon and then add them along with the pod to the pan.
51. Then bring to the boil and then heat on medium heat for about 20 minutes until it is like a thick syrup.
52. Then whisk the cream until stiff with an electric hand mixer.
53. Sieve it to remove the lemon zest and vanilla pod.
54. Mix together with an electric hand mixer, the egg yolks and the syrup mixture until pale.
55. Put it in a bowl and stir by hand until it cools to room temperature.
56. Then mix together the egg and syrup mixture with the cream and freeze overnight.
57. For the jelly, break up the jelly cubes in a bowl.
58. Add the water and stir until the cubes have dissolved.
59. Pour into an ice cube tray and refrigerate until set.
60. When the jelly has set, tip them out
61. sprinkle with the popping candy.
62. To plate up, scoop out some ice
63. cream and put it on to the plate. Stack up 4 of the jelly cubes next to it.
65. Final Presentation
66. (Will be served on a rectangular plate)
67. Put the jelly and ice cream on the left of the plate, following the presentation instructions in the recipe.
68. Put the slice of cake in the middle of the plate.
69. Put the shot glass on the right side of the plate.
- A trio of desserts
- Lemon and lime ice sorbet and lemon curd shot
- (For the sorbet)
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 124g caster sugar
- 186ml boiling water
- (For the curd)
- 100ml milk
- 100ml double cream
- 1/2 of a lemon’s zest and juice
- 50g caster sugar
- 4 free-range egg yolks
- 1/4 gelatine leaf soaked in a bowl of cold water to soften
- Rhubarb and custard filled sponge cake
- (For the sponge)
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g self raising flour
- 125g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla essence
- Butter for greasing
- (For the filling)
- 8 egg yolks
- 75g caster sugar
- 300ml milk
- 300ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod split
- 2 sticks of rhubarb
- Sugar to taste
- Pop in your mouth raspberry jelly cubes with vanilla
- ice cream
- (For the ice-cream)
- 200g caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 300ml water
- 1 slit vanilla pod
- 450ml double cream
- 9 egg yolks
- (For the jelly cubes)
- 1 pack raspberry flavoured Jelly cubes
- 100ml boiling water
- 2 sachets raspberry popping candy