On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers' Bakeation - Eastern Europe
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking - Hot and Cold
- 21:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Risotto
- Member recipe
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
- Around 4-10 (18cm cake tin)
One of the lightest cakes ever, everyone who has tried it has either been speechless or their has been mouth watering for the next slice.
Method1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C or higher if fan-assited.
2. Grease a cake tin
3. Whisk egg whites until it is foamy enough that soft peaks begin to form. Avoid over beating.
4. Cream the butter and sugar and vanilla seeds.
5. Add egg yolks and add fold it very slowly to add air to the mixture.
6. Add the flour and fold it in once again very slowly.
7. Add the soft-peaked egg whites and slowly fold it in but dont mix it any more when its mixed allready.
8. Pour the mixture into the greased cake tin.
9. Bake in the oven for around 25-30 minutes. Do not open the oven door until 20 minutes has passed.
10. Serve with jam and cream
- 180 g Unsalted butter at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 180 g Caster sugar, sifted
- 180 g Self-raising flour, sifted
- 3 medium Egg whites
- 1 Vanilla pod