On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Istanbul
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Amalfi Coast
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 1 hr 30 mins
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Method1. Make shallow slits in the chicken – one or two across the thighs, the legs, three or four across the breast – leave the wings, they’re fine.
2. Rub the chicken with salt, thyme, garlic and lemon zest and set aside in the fridge for about half an hour.
3. Heat the oil in the pan and sear the chicken to golden brown on all sides, before adding the tomatoes, the tomato purée, the turmeric and the onion – stir continuously until everything is well combine and thickened.
4. Pour in the stock and stir well, bringing to the boil – simmer for 40 and then add the shrimps and the chillies, stir well and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Check and correct the seasoning.
6. Put the rice in a pot, scoop 300 ml of the tomato stock from the chicken into a measuring jug and top up with water to add to the rice.
7. Cook for ten minutes in order to partly absorb the liquid.
8. Put a piece of aluminium foil on top of the rice, cover it and cook for another 10 minutes, adding more water if it’s necessary.
9. Place the cooked chicken pieces on to a serving dish and reduce all the remaining sauce by half, pour this over the chicken and serve with the rice and slices of fresh lemon.
Recipe and image supplied by Just Food Now
- 1 kg chicken, including thighs, legs and breast
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large lemon, grated zest only
- 30 ml palm oil or sunflower oil
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 good tsp ground turmeric
- 1 onion, chopped
- 450 ml fresh, homemade chicken stock
- 30 ml dried shrimps, ground
- 1 fresh, very hot green chilli
- 350 g long grain rice, washed
- slices lemons, to serve