On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Peter Gordon combines succulent lamb with fresh mint and tomatoes salad for a tasty dinner party dish
Method1. Slice the lamb necks in half lengthways, but don’t cut all the way through. Open them out - this is called a butterfly cut. If you’re using leg chops you needn’t do anything.
2. Mix the garlic, herbs and ½ the oil together with ¼ teaspoon fine salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Rub this all over the lamb and put it on a plate until you’re almost ready.
3. Place the potatoes in a medium pot of lightly salted water. Bring to the boil and cook until almost ready, then add the beans and cook another 2 minutes. Drain into a colander, then tip back into the pot and toss with the butter, season, then put the lid on to keep warm.
4. While the potatoes are cooking mix the onion with the lemon juice and some salt and pepper and leave for 5 minutes. Mix the tomatoes and mint into the onions with the remaining olive oil.
5. Turn the oven grill to full and line a grill tray with foil to help make it easier to clean. Lay the lamb on the tray and grill for 2-3 minutes each side. The lamb should sit about 7cm from the element. If cooking on a skillet grill, then turn to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes each side.
6. To serve, place the beans and potatoes on the plate, sit the lamb on top, then spoon the tomato salad and its juices on.
For the lamb
- 2 New Zealand neck lamb fillet, or leg chops
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs, such as rosemary, oregano, thyme and sage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the vegetables
- 250 g new potatoes, skin washed if required
- 1 small handful green beans, topped and tailed
- 1 knob of butter
For the tomato salad
- 1/2 red onions, peeled and sliced very thinly
- 25 ml lemon juice
- 3-4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 10 mint leaves, ripped apart
Tips and suggestions
- Instead of neck fillet, you can also use New Zealand Lamb boneless leg steaks. This can also be cooked under the grill or on the BBQ in the summer.