On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Baltimore
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Pennsylvania
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
- makes 12 – 14 large cup cakes
The tangy lemon curd with the coconut compliment one another in these cupcakes
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160/ gas 4.
2. Beat or whisk the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, gradually add the beaten eggs, whisking all the time.
3. Add the yogurt and lemon curd and blend into the creamed mixture.
4. Sieve the flour and baking powder together and then fold into the mixture along with the dessicated coconut.
5. Place dessert spoonfuls into the cases and place in the preheated oven. Cook for 25 – 30 minutes until firm to the touch, if you remove them too early they may sink slightly in the centre.
6. When cooked remove from the oven and leave 5 minutes in the muffin tins before placing on a baking rack to cool.
7. Decorate as you wish, but here are a few suggestions:-
· Lemon meringue – a spoonful of lemon curd encased with whipped meringue and browned in the oven.
· Butter cream with the addition of a spoonful of lemon curd and some melted white chocolate, topped with a Dr Oetker wafer daisy.
· Butterfly tops with a spoonful of lemon curd in the centre.
- 115 g butter, at room temperature
- 125 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100 g yogurt, such as Onken Natural Set Yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon curd
- 175 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder, such as Dr.Oetker
- 25 g desiccated coconut
- lemon curd, optional
- meringues, optional
- butter cream, optional
Tips and suggestions
- The yogurt in the mixture helps to keep the cakes moist and adds to the flavour