On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Puglia
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Sweet Tooth
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Picnic
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus 4 hours marinating
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 30 min
Levi Roots uses a combination of steaming and frying to coax the goat meat into tenderness, a technique commonly used in the Caribbean
Method1. Place the goat into a large bowl and add the lime juice, curry powder and all-purpose seasoning. Mix well to coat the meat in the seasoning, then cover with clinf film and marinate in the fridge for four hours.
2. Heat a large non-stick casserole or heavy-based pan until very hot, then add the groundnut oil. When the oil is nearly smoking, add the goat and turn the meat in the oil until well coated.
3. Cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 45 minutes, checking the meat every so often to ensure it isn’t browning too much on the bottom.
4. Increase the heat, add 150ml of the stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat back down and simmer for another 45 minutes. Add another 150ml of stock and cook for a further 45 minutes.
5. Add the onion, ginger, chilli, garlic and allspice berries and stir gently. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the potato, herbs and rice. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down, cover and cook for another two hours, stirring occasionally. Add more stock if the mixture seems too dry.
6. About 20 minutes before the end of cooking time, add the potatoes. When the potatoes are cooked and the goat is very tender, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. To serve, spoon the curry alongside some boiled rice and garnish with the fresh chopped herbs.
- 1 kg lean goat meat, cut into large chunks
- ½ limes, juice only
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 tbsp all-purpose seasoning
- 6 tbsp groundnut oil
- 425 ml vegetable stock
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cm piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli or scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 allspice berries
- ½ red peppers, seeds removed, cubed
- ½ green peppers, seeds removed, cubed
- 2 spring onions, green parts only, roughly chopped
- 2 waxy potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- boiled rice, to serve
Tips and suggestions
- If you can't find goat, lamb or mutton is a good substitute.