On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Fruit
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Breakfast
- 22:00 - MasterChef Australia - Masterchef Australia
- Prep time:
- 45 min, plus 1 hour chilling
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Aaron Craze’s tart blueberry pie is best served hot, with a scoop of cool ice cream for contrast
Method1. For the pastry: sift together the flour and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Crumble in the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Mix in enough water until the dough comes together to form a dough (you may not need all of the water). Shape the pastry into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for one hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3.
4. Roll out two-thirds of the dough on a floured work surface to line a 24cm pie tin. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into 1cm thick strips long enough to cover the pie dish from end to end.
5. For the filling: mix the blueberries, caster sugar, corn flour, lemon juice and lemon zest in a bowl, crushing the berries slightly, until well combined into a thick paste.
6. Line the pie dish with the pastry, then fill with the blueberry mixture. Lay the strips of remaining pastry over the filling to create a lattice effect, pressing the edges down to seal.
7. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg yolk and dust over the cinnamon and icing sugar. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the pastry is golden-brown and crisp and the filling is piping hot.
8. Serve the pie in slices with scoops of vanilla ice cream.
For the pastry
- 600 g plain flour
- 240 g icing sugar
- 250 g chilled butter, cubed
- 120-200 ml water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp caster sugar
For the filling