On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Lancashire
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - North Yorkshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Herefordshire
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
This rich and spicy coconut curry from Matt Tebbutt uses inexpensive beef rump and rice noodles to fill you up for less
Method1. For the garnish: heat the oil in a small frying pan over a medium-high heat. When hot, lightly dust the shallots in the flour and fry for 2-3 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
2. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute until crisp and lightly golden then stir in the chilli and fry for a few seconds. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
3. For the laksa: pour the coconut cream into a large saucepan over a medium heat, bring to the boil for 5-10 minutes or until the coconut cream separates.
4. Pour in the stock and soy sauce and bring to the boil then stir in the lime leaves, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Season with the fish sauce and sugar and keep warm over a low heat.
5. Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat and fry the curry paste for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant then stir the paste into the coconut sauce.
6. Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan or wok over a high heat, add the beef and fry for 1-2 minutes or until browned and just cooked through. Transfer to a plate and leave to rest for 2 minutes.
7. Divide the warm noodles between four serving bowls and top with the beef then ladle over the coconut sauce. Scatter over the crisp shallots, garlic and chilli, peanuts, beansprouts and coriander. Top with a wedge of lime and serve.
For the garnish
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bird's eye chilli, thinly sliced
For the laksa
- 500 ml coconut cream
- 700 ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 lime leaves
- 1-2 tsp Thai fish sauce, (nam pla)
- 1-2 tsp palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Massaman curry paste
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 300-400 g rump of beef, thinly sliced
- 500 g ho fun noodles, or other thick rice noodles, cooked according to packet instructions