Leftovers fishcakes with pesto
From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Joy of Curry - Joy Of Curry (1): Ep 1
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Sunday Dinners
- 22:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Richard Fox raids the fridge for leftovers to transform into home-made fishcakes with pesto good enough for any gastropub
- 1 handfuls watercress, spinach or rocket
- 1 handfuls natural roasted peanuts, or blanched almonds
- 50 g hard cheese, such as cheddar, parmesan, gruyere, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
For the fishcakes
- 100 g leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 handfuls leftover broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tuna mayonnaise, (or 1 tbsp tuna mixed with 1 tbsp mayonnaise)
- 100 g canned salmon
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 handfuls green herbs, such as dill or chives, chopped
- lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 handfuls breadcrumbs
- vegetable or sunflower oil, for frying
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the pesto: tip all of the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blend to a rough paste. Set aside.
2. For the fishcakes: mix together all of the fishcake ingredients apart from the flour, egg, breadcrumbs and oil. Season with salt and black pepper then shape the mixture into 2 large or 4 smaller patties.
3. Roll the fishcakes in the flour, dusting off any excess, then dip in the egg and lastly the breadcrumbs, to coat completely.
4. Heat 1cm of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the fishcakes for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden and heated through.
5. Serve the fishcakes with the pesto.