On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Party Food
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen at Christmas - Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen at Christmas
- 21:00 - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Richard Fox raids the fridge for leftovers to transform into home-made fish cakes with pesto good enough for any gastropub
Method1. For the pesto: tip all of the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blend to a rough paste. Set aside.
2. For the fish cakes: mix together all of the fish cake ingredients apart from the flour, egg, breadcrumbs and oil. Season with salt and black pepper then shape the mixture into 2 large or 4 smaller patties.
3. Roll the fish cakes in the flour, dusting off any excess, then dip in the egg and lastly the breadcrumbs, to coat completely.
4. Heat 1cm of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the fish cakes for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden and heated through.
5. Serve the fish cakes with the pesto.
- 1 handfuls watercress, spinach or rocket
- 1 handfuls natural roasted peanuts, or blanched almonds
- 50 g hard cheese, such as cheddar, parmesan, gruyere, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
For the fish cakes
- 100 g leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 handfuls leftover broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tuna mayonnaise, (or 1 tbsp tuna mixed with 1 tbsp mayonnaise)
- 100 g canned salmon
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 handfuls green herbs, such as dill or chives, chopped
- lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 handfuls breadcrumbs
- vegetable or sunflower oil, for frying