Baked fennel chicken with morel and madeira sauce
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 3
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 4
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Simple Suppers
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Fresh morels, fennel and peas bring a burst of spring flavours to this seasonal dish from Matt Tebbutt
For the baked fennel chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 4 baby fennel, halved lengthways
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 75 ml madeira
- 500 ml chicken stock
For the sauce
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the baked fennel chicken: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof frying pan or casserole over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and black pepper and fry in the hot pan for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden-brown.
3. Turn the chicken so that it's skin side-up and add the baby fennel, onion, garlic and fennel seeds to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are softened and translucent then pour in the madeira and simmer for 5 minutes, or until reduced in volume by half.
4. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer then transfer to the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
5. For the sauce: while the chicken is cooking, bring a saucepan of water to the boil and boil the peas for 2 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
6. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low-medium heat. Add the shallots and fry gently with the bay leaves and thyme for 5 minutes, or until the shallots are softened and translucent.
7. Stir in the morels and madeira and simmer for 5 minutes until the morels are softened and the sauce has reduced to a syrupy consistency. Stir in the peas and keep warm.
8. To finish the chicken, preheat the grill to high. Place the pan under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes, until the chicken skin is crisp.
9. Spoon over the morel sauce, garnish with pea shoots and serve.