On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Bologna
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Beer and Cider
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Bejeweled
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Simple sweet crabmeat with crisp straw potatoes is Tristan Welch’s recipe for a real hands-on delight
Method1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 2.
2. Blanch the crabs in a large pan of boiling water for 4-6 minutes, then remove from the pan and set aside to cool on a tray.
3. Peel the potatoes and cut into thin strips. Wash the potato straws under hot running water, then drain.
4. Bring a pan of water to the boil and blanch the potatoes for 6-8 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside to air dry.
5. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large ovenproof pan and add the garlic and herb stalks. Place the crabs, head side down, into the pan and cook for a few minutes. Turn the crabs over and place into the oven for 10-15 minutes, basting occasionally with the melted butter, until the crabs are cooked through.
6. Remove the crabs from the pan, reserving the butter, and lightly crack the claws using the back of a heavy knife. Place onto serving plates.
7. To cook the straw potatoes, heat the vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer to 160C. Fry the straw potatoes, in batches, for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper, sprinkling with salt while the straw potatoes are still warm.
8. Heat the reserved butter until bubbling, then discard the garlic and herb stalks. Add a dash of vinegar to the butter and stir in the chopped herbs.
9. Serve the straw potatoes alongside the crabs, with the herb butter drizzled over.