On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Piedmont
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Takeaways
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Ancient Greece
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 40 min
Anna cooks up a tasty vegetarian peasant stew with a selection of Mediterranean vegetables and couscous
Method1. For the chermoula: grill the red pepper on all sides until the skin is blackened and the flesh is soft. Put into a bowl and cover with cling film for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, lightly roast the cloves, coriander and cumin seeds in dry drying pan. Tip the spices into a mortar and pound until sufficiently broken down.
3. Remove the red pepper from the bowl, peel of the skin, remove the seeds and place in a blender with the rest of the chermoula ingredients. Blend until smooth.
4. For the vegetables: coat the vegetables in the chermoula mix and lightly fry in a large heavy based saucepan or tagine.
5. Top with tomatoes, cinnamon, bay leaf, prunes and vegetable stock. Cover and cook for about 1 hour until the vegetables are just tender. Add cooked chick peas and cook for a further 30 minutes.
6. For the couscous: 10 minutes before the tagine is ready start preparing the couscous. Place it in a bowl and add enough boiling water to just cover. Put cling film over the bowl and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
7. Lightly fry the onions and garlic for around 5 minutes until just soft. Add the almonds and preserved lemons and gently fry for another minute to warm through.
8. Fold into cooked couscous and add the herbs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve along side the tagine.
For the chermoula
- 1 red pepper
- 4 cloves
- 3 tsp coriander seeds
- 3 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- bunches coriander
- bunches flat leaf parsley
- 10 leaves mint
- 1 lemon, juice and zest only
For the vegetables
- 8 baby shallots, (or small baby onions)
- 400 g sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 fennel, quartered
- 3 kipfler potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, cut into thick strips
- 3 baby aubergines, cut in half length ways
- 1 courgette, cut into about 6 disks
- 4 roma tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 prunes, pitted
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 400 g canned or cooked chickpeas
For the couscous