On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 20:30 - The Hairy Bakers - Bread
- 21:00 - River Cottage Spring - River Cottage Spring, 2
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus marinating overnight
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Lightly pickled pork belly is paired with refreshing cucumber, fresh herbs and plenty of lime and chilli in Charita Jones’s vibrant main dish
Method1. Cut each pork belly slice into four equal pieces and place into a pot of salted water with the onion. Bring to the boil and cook the pork for 20 minutes. Remove the pork from the pot and set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl mix together the chopped cucumber, red pepper, spring onions, coriander, scotch bonnet chilli and Cajun seasoning.
3. Once the pork is cooled, chop the pork belly into small bite-sized pieces and stir into the cucumber mixture. Add the salt and lime and lemon juice. Stir well, cover the bowl with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
4. To serve, arrange the Baby Gem lettuce leaves on a plate and place a large spoonful of the soused pork belly into each. Squeeze over a little lemon juice and a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning and serve.
- 8 slices pork belly, (each about 1 inch thick)
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- ½ red peppers, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 bunches spring onions, chopped
- ½ bunches coriander, finely chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 baby gem lettuce, leaves separated
- lemon wedges, to serve