On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Corsica and Sardinia
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Washington DC and Maryland
- Member recipe
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- Serves 2-3
A beautiful smooth lentil soup, packed full of nutrients and flavour. Easy to make and so delicious that you'll be making it more than once!
Method1. Wash the red lentils several times in warm water and soak for 10 minutes.
2. Place chicken stock, water, lentils and 1 (roughly chopped) clove of garlic into a saucepan and put on a medium heat. Boil and let simmer.
3. Slice the onion into a frying pan and fry till caramelised. Place aside.
4. When the water has boiled well and the lentils look mushy put in the turmeric, salt, red chilli powder and allow to cook out the spices for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile heat a frying pan and place a big knob of butter, turn the heat down to medium and add one (or two depending on taste) finely sliced garlic clove, one finely sliced green chilli, and a small grating of ginger.
6. Allow the ingredients to go a light shade of golden brown and then add the cumin seeds and poppy seeds. Once they start to pop, pour the mixture into the lentil soup, stir thoroughly and add a very small amount of fresh coriander.
7. Place into a soup bowl. Garnish with a few fried onions, serve with lemon slice and a freshly baked bread.