On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 1
- 20:30 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 2
- 21:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 3
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min, to 55 minutes
Matt Tebbutt makes a rich and moist almond Easter cake jewelled with ginger, dried fruit and nuts
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. For the cake: using an electric whisk, cream together the butter and sugar until light in colour and smooth. Whilst still whisking, slowly add the eggs and lemon zest, until everything is well combined. Then, gently fold in the almonds followed by the flour.
3. Bake the cake in a lined and greased 24 cm round cake tin for 30-40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
4. For the topping: meanwhile, gently heat all the topping ingredients in a pan over a medium low heat until the butter and sugar are melted and the nuts and fruit are well coated in the syrup.
5. Once the cake has been in the oven for 30 minutes remove, pour over the syrup topping mixture, turn the oven up to 200C/180C fan/gas 5 and cook for a further 10 minutes until the nuts are lightly toasted and glossy. Leave to cool.
6. Once cool slice and serve with crème fraîche of Greek yogurt.
- 150 g salted butter
- 300 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 250 g ground almonds
- 70 g plain flour
For the topping
- 85 g salted butter
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 g glucose syrup
- 50 ml water
- 50 g whole almonds
- 50 g crystallised ginger
- 50 g sultanas
- 50 g whole hazelnuts
- 50 g mixed peel
- Crème fraîche or Greek yogurt