On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Roast Pork, Black Pudding and Gooseberries
- 21:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Blueberry Coronation Chicken and Two Course Pasty
- 22:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Pizza, Blackberry Beer and Chicken Pie
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 15 mins resting time
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
Allegra McEvedy serves up Spanish flavours in this hearty stew, perfect for a weekend supper
Method1. Generously season the skin of the chicken pieces with sea salt. Heat the olive oil in a large deep frying pan over a high heat and fry chicken, skin-side down for 7 minutes, until the skin is a deep golden-brown.
2. Season the side of the chicken facing up in the pan, turn the chicken over and fry for a further 3 minutes, or until the flesh-side is lightly golden.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Add the chorizo slices to the pan and fry on a high heat. Once the chorizo begins to release its oil, add the onion, peppers, oregano and chilli and stir well. Place a lid on the pan and leave to cook for 5–10 minutes, or until the vegetables have begun to soften.
4. Stir in the wine, bay leaves and sherry vinegar and bubble the mixture for 2-3 minutes, or until the volume of the liquid begins to reduce. Add the tomatoes and beans, then top up with enough chicken stock to fill the pan three quarters full and bring to a simmer.
5. Put the chicken back in the pan so that the flesh is in the sauce but the skin is exposed. Sprinkle over the orange zest. Bring the mixture back to the boil, then reduce the heat so the stew is gently bubbling. Simmer for 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the sauce has thickened a little.
6. Leave the stew to rest for 15 minutes before serving with crusty bread. The stew can be made a day in advance to allow the flavours to develop.
- 4 chicken legs, jointed into thighs and drumsticks
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g raw chorizo sausages, thickly sliced
- 2 red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 pepper, (green or red), cut into 2cm pieces
- pinches dried oregano
- pinches dried red chilli flakes
- whole dried chillies, (optional)
- 120 ml white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 x 400g can chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can butter beans
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 2 oranges, grated zest only
- crusty bread, to serve