On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - John Torode's Australia - Queensland Part I
- 21:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- 22:00 - The River Cottage Treatment - The River Cottage Treatment
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- Makes 12
Decorated with sugar diamonds and wafer roses, Helen Nathan’s cakes are a real show stopper that will appeal to kids and adults
Method1. Ask a grown-up to turn on the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
2. Mix all the cake ingredients together really well.
3. Put 12 cupcake paper cases into a 12-hole fairy cake tin and spoon the mixture evenly between the cases.
4. Bake for 15 minutes and then ask a grown-up to place them carefully onto a wire rack to cool.
5. When cool, place all of the icing ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk them together for a few minutes. You might need some help with this.
6. If you are feeling creative and you can find a piping bag, you can fill this up with icing and swirl it onto the cake (it looks SO impressive). Just remember to push the icing right down the bag and hold the top tightly shut, otherwise all the icing will squeeze onto the table, not the cake! Alternatively, spread it on using the back of a teaspoon. A good tip is to dip the spoon into water first – this makes the icing more spreadable.
7. Here’s the best bit of all: put the roses and diamonds on the cake and sprinkle with edible fairy glitter just before serving. Place the cake into a cupcake wrapper if you have one then look at the cake sparkle!
For the icing
- 25 g butter, melted
- 400 g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 1 drops natural pink food colouring
- pink wafer roses, (see Cook's Tips)
- sugar diamonds sweets, (see Cook's Tips)
- edible glitter, (see Cook's Tips)
Tips and suggestions
- All of the decoration items including cupcake wrappers are available from baking and sugarcraft shops and online at sites including flossiecrums.com