On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Aberdeenshire
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Staffordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Argyll and Bute
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Crunchy bread gives way to oozing cheese and salty bacon – Rachel Allen’s indulgent sandwich is not for the faint of heart!
Method1. Fry the bacon in a frying pan until crisp and set it aside.
2. In a bowl, mix together the grated cheese with the egg yolk and mustard, seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Lay the slices of bread on a clean work surface. Spread one slice with butter, add the bacon, then the grated cheese mixture. Spread the other slice of bread with butter and place on top, butter side-down. Spread some butter on the top of the sandwich.
4. Place a frying pan on the heat and put the sandwich in the pan straightaway, butter-side down. Put a saucepan lid on the pan and fry over a medium heat for another 3-4 minutes, until golden-brown on the underside.
5. Spread a thin layer of butter on the top and flip over. Cover again, turn down the heat and cook for another 3-4 minutes until golden-brown and the cheese is just melted. Remove and serve at once.