Blueberry tea cake
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Bill Granger’s squidgy blueberry cake comes with an optional carrot cake-style frosting of sugary cream cheese and lemon zest
- 210 ml soured cream
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 180 g butter, at room temperature
- 330 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 3 medium eggs
- 250 g blueberries, (fresh or frozen)
- 375 g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
For the cream cheese frosting (optional)
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a 23 x 33cm baking tin and line with baking paper. Mix the soured cream with the bicarbonate of soda in a large mixing bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a separate mixing bowl until light and creamy. Add the lemon zest and vanilla, and beat to combine. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then add to the soured cream mixture and mix until evenly combined.
3. Put the blueberries into another bowl and toss with a little of the flour.
4. Sift the rest of the flour and baking powder over the cake mixture and carefully fold in with a large metal spoon until just combined. Gently fold through the blueberries.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
6. To make the frosting: (if required) beat the cream cheese, butter, lemon zest, vanilla and lemon juice together in a bowl until light and fluffy, then mix in the icing sugar until smooth.
7. Top the cooled cake with the frosting, or serve it plain if you prefer.