On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - The Heart of England
- 21:00 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- 21:30 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Bill Granger’s squidgy blueberry cake comes with an optional carrot cake-style frosting of sugary cream cheese and lemon zest
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a 23 x 33cm baking tin and line with baking paper. Mix the soured cream with the bicarbonate of soda in a large mixing bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a separate mixing bowl until light and creamy. Add the lemon zest and vanilla, and beat to combine. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then add to the soured cream mixture and mix until evenly combined.
3. Put the blueberries into another bowl and toss with a little of the flour.
4. Sift the rest of the flour and baking powder over the cake mixture and carefully fold in with a large metal spoon until just combined. Gently fold through the blueberries.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
6. To make the frosting: (if required) beat the cream cheese, butter, lemon zest, vanilla and lemon juice together in a bowl until light and fluffy, then mix in the icing sugar until smooth.
7. Top the cooled cake with the frosting, or serve it plain if you prefer.
- 210 ml soured cream
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 180 g butter, at room temperature
- 330 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 3 medium eggs
- 250 g blueberries, (fresh or frozen)
- 375 g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
For the cream cheese frosting (optional)