On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 1
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011
- 22:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - The Big Freeze
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 55 min
Gennaro Contaldo cooks a traditional Italian ring-shaped cake, here flavoured with chocolate and orange
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Grease a 28cm ring-shaped cake tin with butter and dust with flour.
2. Break the chocolate into pieces and place into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a pan of just-simmering water (make sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl) and leave until the chocolate has melted, stirring occasionally. Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and pinch of salt until light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg a little at a time, whisking continuously, until well combined. (If the mixture begins to curdle, add a few tablespoons of the flour to bring the mixture back together.) Stir in the orange zest.
4. Pour half of the mixture into another bowl and set aside. Pour the melted chocolate into one of the bowls, mixing until well combined. In the other bowl, fold in the remaining flour until well combined.
5. Spoon the plain mixture into the ring tin leaving some gaps, and then quickly spoon the chocolate mixture into the spaces. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is risen and springy to the touch. The cake is cooked if a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Leave the cake to cool slightly, turn out onto a serving plate or cake stand and brush with the apricot glaze. If preferred, decorate with extra orange zest and chocolate curls. Serve in slices.
- 150 g milk chocolate, plus extra chocolate curls for decorating
- 300 g butter, plus extra for greasing, at room temperature
- 300 g sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest, plus extra for decorating
- 300 g self-raising flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- 4 tbsp apricot glaze or apricot jam thinned with a little water