On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 2
- 21:00 - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - New: Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
- 22:00 - Raymond Blanc's Christmas Feast - Raymond Blanc's Christmas Feast
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
Michael Caines’ duck dusted with Chinese five-spice powder comes with sweet honey vinaigrette as a dipping sauce
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3.
2. Rub the Chinese five-spice powder into the duck’s skin along with a little salt and then place on a deep roasting tray. Cook in the oven for about 2 hours, spooning any fat released from the duck back over from time to time until the duck is crisp and brown. After an hour of cooking, drain the fat from around the duck and tip it into a separate roasting tray.
3. Add the potatoes to the roasting tray and place in the oven. Cook for about one hour until the potatoes are golden-brown and crunchy on the outside, and soft in the middle, turn half way through cooking.
4. Towards the end of the duck cooking time, turn up the heat and baste the duck and potatoes with the rendered fat to make the skin of the duck and the outside of the potatoes crisp.
5. Remove the duck from the oven and leave to rest, covered in a warm place, for 15 minutes before serving. Keep the potatoes warm too.
6. For the honey vinaigrette: put the honey, five-spice powder and mustard in a small bowl and mix well. Whisk in the balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar and soy sauce. Using a hand-blender or whisk, add the olive oil gradually and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. For the greens: heat the oil in a frying pan or wok on a medium high heat and then add the pak choi and a splash of water. Once it has started to wilt, about 1-2 minutes, add the green beans and sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil. Continue to cook for about another minute, until the beans have warmed through
8. To serve, put the duck in the middle of the table. Simply tear away the skin and meat from the bones using a pair of tongs and a fork and serve with the greens and potatoes, with the vinaigrette as a dipping sauce.
- 1 large duck, about 2.5kg
- 4 tbsp chinese five spice
- 1 kg king edward potatoes, peeled and quartered
For the honey vinaigrette
- 100 g clear honey
- large pinch chinese five spice
- 2½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 400 g extra virgin olive oil