On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 1
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011
- 22:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - The Big Freeze
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
The shells and heads of the prawns are used to make a rich stock as the base for this colourful Spanish-style soup from Silvana Franco
Method1. For the prawn soup: peel the prawns and remove the heads. Set aside, reserving the shells and heads.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the prawn shells and heads and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, rosemary, paprika and chilli flakes and cook for 1 minute then pour in the wine and boil for 1-2 minutes. Pour in 2 litres of water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
4. Strain the contents of the pan through a sieve into a clean pan, discarding the shells. Stir the rice into the strained liquor and season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until the rice is cooked through.
5. For the saffron mayonnaise: while the soup is simmering, stir the saffron into the mayonnaise with the crushed garlic, lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
6. To finish the soup, add the peeled prawns to the soup and cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on the size, until they are pink.
7. Use a handheld blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency then return to the heat and warm through.
8. Ladle into warm serving bowls and top each with a spoonful of saffron mayonnaise.
For the prawn soup
- 750 g whole raw prawns, shell on
- 25 g butter
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- pinches dried red chilli flakes
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 75 g short grain rice, such as paella or risotto rice
For the saffron mayonnaise