Spanish prawn soup with saffron mayonnaise
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Joy of Curry - Joy Of Curry (1): Ep 1
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Sunday Dinners
- 22:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
The shells and heads of the prawns are used to make a rich stock as the base for this colourful Spanish-style soup from Silvana Franco
For the prawn soup
- 750 g whole raw prawns, shell on
- 25 g butter
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- pinches dried red chilli flakes
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 75 g short grain rice, such as paella or risotto rice
For the saffron mayonnaise
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the prawn soup: peel the prawns and remove the heads. Set aside, reserving the shells and heads.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the prawn shells and heads and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, rosemary, paprika and chilli flakes and cook for 1 minute then pour in the wine and boil for 1-2 minutes. Pour in 2 litres of water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
4. Strain the contents of the pan through a sieve into a clean pan, discarding the shells. Stir the rice into the strained liquor and season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until the rice is cooked through.
5. For the saffron mayonnaise: while the soup is simmering, stir the saffron into the mayonnaise with the crushed garlic, lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
6. To finish the soup, add the peeled prawns to the soup and cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on the size, until they are pink.
7. Use a handheld blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency then return to the heat and warm through.
8. Ladle into warm serving bowls and top each with a spoonful of saffron mayonnaise.