On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 1
- 20:30 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 2
- 21:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 3
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 30 min
Matt Tebbutt's use of shin of beef and piquillo peppers gives this slow-cooked paprika-flavoured favourite a new twist
Method1. For the goulash: heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan or casserole over a medium-high heat and add enough beef to almost cover the bottom of the pan in a single layer. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until a dark golden-brown colour. Remove the beef from the pan, transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining beef, cooking in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan and adding more oil if the beef starts to stick to the pan.
2. Lower the heat to medium and add the onions and garlic to the same pan used to brown the beef. Fry gently for 4-5 minutes until softened and lightly golden.
3. Stir in the caraway and 1 teaspoon of the smoked paprika and fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Pour in the tomatoes, give everything a good stir and increase the heat to high. When the mixture starts to bubble add the peppers, cayenne pepper and beef, along with any juices that have collected on the plate.
4. Pour in enough stock to cover the beef, topping up with a little extra stock or water if necessary. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
5. Season with salt and black pepper and more paprika, if necessary.
6. To serve: mix together the parsley, lemon zest and gherkins. Spoon the goulash into warm serving bowls, top with spoonfuls of sour cream, scatter over the gherkin mixture and sprinkle with a little smoked paprika. Serve with rice.
For the goulash
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 kg beef shin, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1-2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 x 400g can whole plum tomatoes
- 250 g piquillo peppers, from a jar or can, halved if large
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 750 ml beef stock, or to cover