On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Turkey and Trimmings
- 20:30 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Brunch, Lunch and Breakfast
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 1
Submitted by: EmilyChantal
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
This lightly spiced ginger and lemon cake is complemented by sweet lemon curd and cream cheese frosting. With the addition of mini Easter eggs it’s a great celebration cake
Method1. For the frosting: beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together until smooth. Add enough lemon juice (about 2 tablespoons) to get a good spreading consistency. Chill until ready to use.
2. For the cake: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lightly grease and base line with greaseproof paper two 18cm sandwich tins.
3. Cream the butter, sugar, ginger paste and lemon rind together in a large bowl until pale and well combined. Gradually beat in the eggs adding a little flour after each addition if the mixture starts to curdle. Sift any remaining flour over the mixture and fold in with a large metal spoon.
4. Divide the mixture between the tins and level the surface with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen, golden and firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
5. Peel the paper off the backs of the sponges. Spread half the cream cheese mixture over the tops of each sponge right up to the edges. Drop spoonfuls of the lemon curd randomly over the cream cheese mixture then using a skewer or teaspoon pull through the lemon curd to create a swirled effect. Sandwich the cakes together and lift onto a serving plate.
6. To decorate: scatter with the mini eggs or crystallised flowers.
- 300 g pack full-fat cream cheese
- 125 g icing sugar, sifted
- 175 g unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 175 g caster sugar
- 4 tsp finely grated ginger, or English Provender very lazy ginger paste
- 2 lemons, juice and zest only
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp lemon curd, such as English Provender luxury lemon curd
- crystallised flowers, (see Cook’s Tip)
- chocolate mini eggs
Tips and suggestions
- To make crystallised flowers simply brush the flowers with lightly beaten egg white, sprinkle with caster sugar and leave to dry on a paper lined wire rack for at least 1 hour.