On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Finale
- 21:00 - Man v. Food Presents - Carnivore Edition (Volume 4)
- 21:30 - Man v. Food Presents - Breakfast
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 15 mins chilling
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Tristan Welch transforms the humble leek into a special frothy-topped, layered green and white leek and potato soup
Method1. For the rosemary sticks: roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle about 5mm thick. Brush all over with the egg yolk and sprinkle with the rosemary and sea salt. Transfer to the fridge to chill for at least 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. Once chilled, cut the pastry into 1cm-wide strips. Twist each strip 3 or 4 times to form a spiral shape and transfer to a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown.
3. For the white leek soup: while the rosemary sticks are baking, pour the chicken stock into a saucepan with the bay leaf and thyme and bring to the boil. As soon as it starts to boil, pour in the milk and bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
4. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat and tip in the leeks and potatoes. Season with a pinch of salt and fry gently for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and tender, but not browned.
5. Pour the hot stock through a sieve onto the leeks and potatoes. Blend to a smooth consistency using a stick blender and keep warm.
6. For the green leek cappuccino: pour the chicken stock into a pan and bring to the boil.
7. While the chicken stock is coming to a boil, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the leeks with a pinch of salt for 2-3 minutes, until just softened but still bright green.
8. Pour the hot chicken stock onto the green leeks and blend to a smooth consistency using a stick blender. Strain through a sieve into a clean saucepan and keep warm.
9. To serve, three-quarters fill four large, warm cappuccino cups with the white leek soup.
10. Using a stick blender, blend the green leek soup until it turns frothy. Pour this carefully on top of the white leek soup. Arrange the rosemary sticks alongside and serve straight away.
For the rosemary sticks
For the white leek soup
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 300 ml milk
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 large leeks, white part only, finely sliced
- 180 g potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
For the green leek cappuccino