On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 2
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Spanish Christmas - Rick Stein's Spanish Christmas
- 22:00 - Two Fat Ladies: Xmas 1997 - Two Fat Ladies: Xmas 1997
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus 1 hr resting
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
A slice of Matt Tebbutt’s traditionally British egg custard tart needs no accompaniment, but a nice cup of tea with it wouldn’t go amiss
Method1. For the pastry: put the flour and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the butter, egg yolks, vanilla seeds, icing sugar and lemon zest (if using).
2. Mix together using your hands and then roll the pastry into a log shape and wrap it in cling film. Chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and dust a 30cm tart tin with flour.
4. Remove the pastry log from the fridge and cut into 1cm circles. Arrange the circles in the tart tin, pressing the edges together to cover the base and sides completely (this method helps prevent the pastry being over-worked). Return the pastry to the fridge for 10 minutes.
5. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and top with baking beans, then bake until the pastry is golden brown. Set the tart case aside and reduce the oven temperature to 110C/90C fan/gas ¼.
6. For the filling: bring the cream and vanilla to scalding point in a saucepan then remove from the heat. Beat the eggs and sugar together in a heatproof bowl, then pour in the warm cream, stirring continuously.
7. Pass the mixture through a sieve into a clean bowl or jug then pour the filling into the pastry case. Bake for about 1 hour, or just until the egg custard is about to set.
8. Turn off the oven. Sprinkle the grated nutmeg over the custard filling and leave the tart to cool in the oven.
For the pastry
- 280 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 230 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped
- 115 g icing sugar
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest only (optional)
For the filling