On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Potatoes and Veg
- 20:30 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Puddings
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Life in the Old Bird?
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 55 min
Richard Corrigan's indulgent fruit and nut tart is filled with luxurious treacle and whisky flavoured batter
Method1. For the pastry: combine the flour and sugar in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter to give a crumbly texture. Add the eggs and mix well, adding a little water to moisten the pastry if necessary.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and sit a 45cm tart ring on a baking tray.
3. Roll out the pastry and cut a circle 48cm in diameter, so that it is about 3cm wider than the tart ring. Ease the rolled pastry into the tart ring and press down to make a pastry case. Cover with a sheet of baking parchment and fill with baking beans or raw rice.
4. Bake the pastry case for 40 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden all over, then remove it from the oven and set aside to cool a little.
5. For the filling: in a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, golden syrup, treacle, whisky and vanilla and whisk together until smooth. Stir in the sugar and salt and set aside.
6. Roughly chop the walnuts, figs, hazelnuts, and chocolate and mix them with the whole cranberries.
7. Brush the melted butter over the inside of the baked pastry case and sprinkle in the fruit and nut mixture. Pour over the treacle batter (you may have a little left over depending on the depth of your tart case), making sure that the base and filling are entirely covered.
8. Bake the tart for 15 minutes, then remove and cool slightly.
9. Dust the top of the tart with icing sugar and serve in slices with a little ice cream on the side.
For the pastry
For the filling
- 4 eggs
- 85 g golden syrup
- 55 g treacle
- 3 tbsp whisky
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 185 g light soft brown sugar
- ½ tbsp salt
- 75 g walnut halves
- 75 g figs
- 50 g shelled hazelnuts
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 60 g cranberries
- 45 g butter, melted
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 8-12 scoops ice cream