On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Michel's Classics - Michel's Classics S2, 1
- 20:30 - Michel's Classics - Michel's Classics S2, 2
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Power
- Prep time:
- 20 min
Brian Turner updates the prawn cocktail in this simple and delicious starter
Method1. Put the mustard, vinegar and oil in a small bowl and whisk to make a vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. For the sauce: mix the mayonnaise, ketchup and cream together, then stir in the brandy, horseradish, lemon juice and Tabasco. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
3. Put the prawns in a bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon of the sauce and 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette.
4. Cut each avocado in half lengthwise, peel and take out the stone. Slice the avocado crosswise, put into a bowl, add enough vinaigrette to moisten and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. When ready to serve, drain the excess liquid from both the prawns and avocado. Put the nicest slices of avocado to one side, for serving.
6. Set a ring mould on a plate and arrange some avocado in the base. Put in some prawns, another layer of avocado, more prawns and finally, put some of the reserved slices of avocado on top. Push down gently to keep the shape and carefully remove the ring. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to give four servings.
7. Mix the rest of the sauce with the tomatoes, shallot and 1 tablespoon of the chives. Pour gently over the avocado towers, drizzling a little around the plate as well. Top each tower with a sprig of chervil.
8. Add the remaining chives to the vinaigrette and drizzle round the towers before serving.
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 350 g cooked, shelled prawns
- 2 avocados
- 2 tomatoes, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 4 sprigs chervil
For the sauce