Hot rum and raisin chocolate fondant
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - York Betty's
- 20:30 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - Whitby Kippers
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 3 days soaking
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Michael Caines’ decadent chocolate fondant comes with a rich white chocolate ice cream. Remember to soak the raisins in advance
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- Egg sizes vary widely and this is one recipe where the exact quantity of whites is important. However, you will need approximately four eggs to get 100g egg whites, and will have five whites left over from making the ice cream.
For the ice cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 25 g milk powder
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 200 g white chocolate, broken into pieces
For the fondants
- 100 g raisins
- rum, to cover, plus 1 tsp extra
- 120 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 115 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 80 g caster sugar
- 100 g egg whites
- 60 g plain flour
- 1 handfuls crushed pistachio nuts, to garnish
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the ice cream: beat together the egg yolks and sugar until pale in colour.
2. In a saucepan, combine the milk, milk powder and cream, and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat immediately.
3. Pour a splash of the milk onto the creamed eggs and sugar, whisking continuously. Pour the egg mixture back into the pan with the milk and return to a medium heat. Cook until the temperature reaches 85C (check using a thermometer). Stir all the time and take care that the eggs do not curdle.
4. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a clean bowl.
5. Melt the white chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of steaming water and then pour the melted chocolate into the custard. Churn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
6. For the fondant: grease and line 8 moulds measuring 6cm x 4cm with parchment paper. Use some more parchment to line a baking tray and sit the moulds on it.
7. Slowly melt the chocolate and butter in a large bowl set over a pan of steaming water, then remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
8. Add the sugar and then whisk in the egg whites. Fold in the flour with a large metal spoon. Stir in the soaked raisins and extra rum and leave to cool.
9. Fill the moulds with the chocolate mixture and smooth the tops. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
10. Bake the fondants for 7 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to rest for one minute.
11. Place the fondants on serving plates and carefully lift off the moulds and parchment. Serve with the ice cream, garnished with crushed pistachios.