On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Fruit
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Breakfast
- 22:00 - MasterChef Australia - Masterchef Australia
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Get into the party spirit and warm up your guests with Aaron Craze's potent spiced wine and sweet, sticky chilli-dusted nuts
Method1. For the mulled wine: slice the clementines and stud a few slices with the cloves. Place the clementines in a large saucepan with all the other ingredients and pour in 750ml water.
2. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then reduce the heat to low. Let the mulled wine bubble very gently for 20 minutes – do not to let it boil.
3. For the spiced nuts: put the star anise, pink peppercorns and cinnamon in a mortar and crush to a coarse powder. Tip this mixture into a dry frying pan and toast over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes, or until aromatic.
4. Add the nuts to the frying pan and toss for a further 2-3 minutes, or until toasted and golden brown. Sprinkle in the sugar, chilli powder and smoked paprika and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sugar has formed a caramel.
5. Pour in the oil, increase the heat high and cook for a further minute, or until the nuts are golden and sticky, then tip the nuts onto kitchen paper and season with a generous pinch of sea salt.
6. Taste the mulled wine and add more sugar if necessary. Serve it hot with the nuts, which you can hand around warm or cold.
For the mulled wine
- 2 clementines
- 5 cloves
- 750 ml red wine, preferably New World merlot
- 1 apple, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ pears, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar, or to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 tbsp dark rum
For the spiced nuts