On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Seafood Odyssey - Suffolk and Naples
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Seafood Odyssey - India and Cornwall
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Fish
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Stephen Terry makes battered cockles that look like popcorn - a lush snack with lemon wedges and mayonnaise
Method1. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the cockles and milk. Using a slotted spoon, lift the cockles from the milk and put them in the flour.
2. Toss the cockles in the flour and, once coated, tip them into a sieve and shake off any excess flour.
3. Heat the oil to 180C in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan (use a thermometer to check). Do not leave the hot oil unattended.
4. Fry the cockles in the hot oil until browned all over, then remove and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Season with salt and a pinch of smoked paprika, and serve hot with mayonnaise and lemon wedges