On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Aberdeenshire
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Staffordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Argyll and Bute
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
From Angela Nilsen, a spoonable stuffing full of robust, seasonal flavours to accompany roast turkey or chicken, or a vegetarian main course
Method1. Put the ceps in a small bowl and pour over enough hot water to generously cover them. Leave to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, rinse the rice, then put it in a medium saucepan and pour in enough water to cover it by at least half again. Stir in the vegetable bouillon. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is tender.
3. While the rice cooks, toast the pine nuts in a small frying pan until golden brown, shaking the pan so they don’t burn. Chop half and leave the rest whole.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Heat 30g butter and the oil in a large frying pan, stir in the shallots and fry over a high heat for 3-5 minutes until golden. Mix in the chestnut mushrooms and garlic and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
5. When the rice is cooked, drain it well and stir into the mushroom mixture along with the lemon zest, raisins, parsley, rosemary, the chopped pine nuts and egg. Drain and reserve the liquid from the ceps, finely chop the ceps and stir them into the rice. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt. Stir in about 4-5 tablespoons cep soaking liquid, enough to moisten the rice.
6. Spoon the stuffing into a 1 litre, shallow, buttered ovenproof dish. Scatter over the reserved whole pine nuts, then cover with a generously buttered sheet of greaseproof paper (or dot extra butter on top of the stuffing then cover with plain greaseproof). Bake for 25 minutes and spoon out to serve.
- 15 g dried porcini or cep mushrooms
- 175 g mixed wild and brown basmati rice, or plain brown basmati
- 1 tbsp Swiss vegetable bouillon
- 50 g pine nuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 large shallots, cut into thin wedges
- 140 g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 handfuls raisins
- 3 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 rounded tsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten