On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Say it with Cake
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus 3 days marinating
- Cook time:
- 1 min
- makes 450g jar
This fiery, refreshing traditional sushi accompaniment is easy to make at home, as Angela Nilsen shows
Method1. Peel the ginger with a vegetable peeler, then slice crossways as thinly as you possible can, preferably using a mandolin (or a very sharp knife).
2. Tip the ginger into a small saucepan of boiling water, bring back to the boil, then boil for 1 minute. Drain into a sieve, cool under running cold water and drain again.
3. Spread the ginger out on a baking sheet or board lined with kitchen paper and pat dry. Lay the slices in a shallow dish.
4. Put the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Warm over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Colour the pickling liquid very lightly with a few small dabs of paste food colouring or a few drops of liquid red food colouring, until pale pink. Pour over the ginger and leave to cool.
5. Once cold, transfer the ginger to a sterilised jar. Pour over enough syrup to completely cover the ginger. Seal and label the jar. Allow to marinate in a cool place for 3 days so the flavours can develop. The ginger will then keep in the fridge for 2-3 months.