On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Angela Nilsen's fruity, nutty stuffing is ideal for chicken or turkey – it even works as an accompaniment to vegetarian dishes.
More Christmas stuffing recipes
Method1. For the topping: butter a 1kg loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof paper. Lay the 4 pecan halves and the bay leaves alternately in a line along the bottom of the tin. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
2. For the stuffing: heat 50g of the butter for the stuffing in a large frying pan with the oil until the butter has melted. Add the onions and fry for 8-10 minutes until softened and starting to turn golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in the leek, ground coriander and the rest of the butter and fry for another 3-4 minutes to soften the leeks and caramelise the onions a bit more. Tip in the nuts and stir them around until starting to look toasty.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the breadcrumbs, apricots, orange zest, coriander, egg and some salt and pepper to season. When combined, spoon the stuffing into the tin and pack it down lightly. Cover with a piece of buttered greaseproof paper.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the paper and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for a few minutes.
5. Discard the paper, loosen the sides with a round-bladed knife and turn out the stuffing so the pecans and bay leaves are on the top. Slice to serve.
For the topping
For the stuffing
- 85 g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 50 g pecans, chopped
- 140 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 140 g ready-to-eat dried apricots
- 1 small orange, finely grated zest only
- 20 g coriander, leaves only, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
Tips and suggestions
- The stuffing can be made and spooned into the tin a day ahead of serving, kept in the fridge overnight, then baked the next day.