On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Simple Classics
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Traditional
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Power
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Try Jun Tanaka’s easy version of cassoulet if you love the French combo of sausages, confit duck and beans, but are short of time
Method1. Heat a frying pan or griddle pan and fry the sausages until coloured on all sides.
2. While the sausages are browning, heat 1 tablespoon duck fat from the jar of confit in a lidded pan and fry the onion and garlic until softened. Add the tomatoes and leave to simmer.
3. When the sausages are sufficiently browned, add them to the sauce along with the bay leaf, thyme and one leg of the confit duck. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the beans and stir, taking care not to break up the duck. Season lightly with salt and pepper and simmer with the lid on for a further 10 minutes.
5. For the topping: put the garlic, parsley and bread chunks in a food processor and blend to a crumb consistency.
6. Heat 1 teaspoon duck fat from the confit jar in the frying pan. Sprinkle in the breadcrumb mixture and cook gently until crisp and golden brown.
7. Once the sausages are completely cooked, spoon the cassoulet into a serving dish, sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs and serve.
- 2 toulouse sausages
- 680 g jar duck confit
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 300 g canned chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 400 g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
For the topping