On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Every Cake Tells a Story
- 20:30 - Choccywoccydoodah - Show Business
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - New York
- Prep time:
- 35 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Two sponge cakes sandwiched together with jam and cream – Matt Tebbutt knows there’s no need to mess with perfection!
Method1. For the sponge: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease two 20cm sandwich tins with butter and place a baking tray in the oven to heat (or two baking trays if both tins will not fit on just one tray).
2. Using an electric whisk, cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until pale and fluffy (alternatively cream by hand using a wooden spoon). Add one egg at a time to the mixture and beat to incorporate.
3. Fold in the flour and enough milk to give the mixture a ‘dropping’ consistency. Pour the mixture into the two cake tins and smooth the top with a palette knife.
4. Bake the cakes on the hot baking tray(s) for 20 minutes or so, or until golden brown and risen. To check if the cakes are cooked through, insert a skewer in the middle: if it comes out clean, they are done. Leave to cool slightly in the tins then transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. For the filling: whisk the cream in a bowl until soft peaks form when the whisk is lifted. Stir the icing sugar into the cream.
6. Once the cakes are cool, spread the top of one of the cakes with jam, then spread a layer of sweetened cream on top and cover with the other cake. Dust the top with caster sugar and serve.