On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Potatoes and Veg
- 20:30 - Jamie's Family Christmas - Puddings
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Life in the Old Bird?
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus freezing
- Cook time:
- 45 min
- makes 1.5kg
Aaron Craze’s brightly coloured beetroot ice cream makes a deliciously different dessert.
Method1. In a saucepan, boil the beetroot until tender, then drain. When the beetroot has cooled slightly, purée it in a blender or food processor. Measure out 220g of purée to use in the ice cream, then set aside to cool completely.
2. Place the milk and cream in a large saucepan and heat gently, adding the vanilla pod and seeds. Bring the mixture to scalding point, then remove from the heat and pass the mixture through a sieve.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the sugar and egg yolks together until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Steadily pour the hot flavoured cream onto the yolks, whisking continuously. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
4. Stir the beetroot purée into the custard and churn in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions. Alternatively, pour the mixture into a large freezerproof container and freeze for an hour or until the sides begin to solidify. Stir to break up any ice crystals, then return to the freezer. Repeat the process once more, but this time leave the ice cream until almost firm, then turn into a bowl and beat quickly, or whizz in a food processor. Return to the freezer and leave until completely frozen.
5. Soften the ice cream in the fridge 30-45 minutes before serving. Serve scoops in waffle cones and drizzle with chocolate or strawberry and balsamic syrup.
Watch a video of Aaron making the beetroot ice cream on the beach.