On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat with the Most
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Comforting yet light, this aromatic broth from Aaron Craze requires a little bit of effort – ideal for those rainy days spent indoors
Method1. For the dumplings: put all the dumpling ingredients except the wrappers and cornflour in a food processor. Add a little salt and white pepper then pulse until the mixture is well mixed, but don’t let it become a paste.
2. Take a dumpling wrapper (keep those not being used covered with cling film) and place a teaspoon of the mixture in the middle of it. Using your finger, wet the edges of the wrapper and then either simply fold the edges over to make a semi circle, or crimp the edges as you fold them, making sure the filling is completely sealed. Place on a tray and cover with cling film to stop the dumplings from drying out and cracking. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
3. Gently toss the dumplings in a little cornflour to prevent them sticking together. Shake off any excess and transfer to a sealed container until ready to use.
4. For the soup: Heat the chicken stock, ginger and chilli together in a medium saucepan. Once the stock is boiling, add the dumplings and stir briefly to prevent sticking, then turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes.
5. Stir in the soy and oyster sauces to taste, adding more if required. Add the noodles and simmer for 1 minute more until the noodles are tender.
6. Sprinkle the extra coriander over the soup. Divide between deep bowls and serve immediately.
For the dumplings
- 250 g minced pork
- 100 g brown shrimps
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 5 cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 small handful coriander leaves
- 1 red chillies, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 lime, finely grated zest and juice
- 24 gyoza or wonton dumpling wrappers
- cornflour, for dusting
For the soup