On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Posh Nosh
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Street Food
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Finale
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Jason Atherton’s hearty sausage stew with beans and onion squash makes a great warming treat for a Guy Fawkes or Halloween event
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Melt the butter in a large heavy-based casserole dish over a medium heat. Pierce the sausages with a fork and then fry them in the butter until browned on all sides. Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the onion, shallots and garlic to the dish, season with salt, to taste, and fry for about 5 minutes, or until they are softened but not browned.
4. Add the cubes of squash and fry for a further 5 minutes, taking care not to burn the onions and garlic.
5. Pour in the chicken stock gradually, stir well and add the reserved sausages.
6. Add half of the rosemary, the chopped tomatoes, cannellini beans and cider vinegar. Continue to cook on the stove for a few minutes gradually increasing the heat until the casserole is simmering.
7. Taste the casserole. If it's too acidic, add a little brown sugar.
8. Cook in the oven for an hour. Remove from the oven, garnish with the remaining rosemary and serve.
- knob of butter
- 8 Lincolnshire sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1 sprigs rosemary, leaves only, chopped
- 1 x 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g tinned cannellini beans
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar, if necessary