On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen's Cake Diaries - Say it with Cake
- 20:30 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
Slow, steady simmering in beer, honey and mustard makes lean beef and root vegetables a warming feast for cold days
Method1. For the stew: preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3. In a large plastic bag combine the flour, mustard and a little salt and pepper. Add the beef and toss in the seasoned flour to coat.
2. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and cook the beef in batches for 6-8 minutes until brown, turning occasionally. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
3. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and cook the onions and turnip for 3-4 minutes until brown. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, then transfer to the casserole dish with the beef.
4. Add the carrots to the casserole, then the stout or ale, tomatoes, honey and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook in the oven (or on the hob) for 2-3 hours or until the meat is tender.
5. For the bubble and squeak cakes: about 15 minutes before the stew is done, heat the butter in a small pan. Add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, until soft but not brown. Set aside to cool.
6. Place the potatoes and cooked spring greens or cabbage in a large bowl. Add the fried onion and season. Mix thoroughly and shape into six firm cakes.
7. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan and cook the cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with the stew.
For the stew
- 900 g lean, boneless beef shin, topside or braising steak, cut into 5cm cubes
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 225 g baby turnips, peeled and halved
- 225 g button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 300 g baby or chantenay carrots, scraped and left whole
- 600 ml stout, or ale
- 200 g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp runny honey
- 1 bay leaf
For the bubble and squeak cakes