On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Peking Duck
- 20:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Fish Pie
- 21:00 - Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation - State of the Nation
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Nigel Haworth’s dessert-to-die for is parkin served with treacle toffee sauce – it’s rarely off his menus!
Method1. For the parkin: preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3 and butter and flour eight individual mini loaf tins (about 5cm x 8cm).
2. Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, oatmeal and sugar in a mixing bowl.
3. Melt the butter in a small pan. In a separate small pan, warm the treacle and golden syrup. Remove both from the heat and pour the butter over the treacle mixture, stirring. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients.
4. Add the eggs and milk to the cake batter and stir until fully incorporated. Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean. They should be risen and golden brown.
5. For the sauce: melt the butter in a small pan and add all the ingredients, except the cream. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and mix well. Stir in the cream.
6. Serve the cake hot with the treacle toffee sauce.
- 225 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 110 g oatmeal
- 175 g caster sugar
- 115 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 115 g treacle
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 150 ml milk
- 2 eggs
For the sauce
- 100 g butter
- 200 g treacle
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp double cream, or more to taste, plus whipped double cream to serve