On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Caribbean Food Made Easy - CARIBBEAN FOOD MADE EASY
- 20:30 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Easy Entertaining
- 21:00 - River Cottage - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 1
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 3 hrs 10 min
Music supremos Carrie and David Grant share one of their favourite Caribbean comfort food dishes
Method1. For the goat: rub the paprika into the meat and season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. For the curry: heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, curry powder and paprika. Once the onions have softened, add the meat to the pan and cook until browned all over.
3. Add the tomatoes, chillies and mustard. Pour over enough water to nearly cover the meat. Simmer gently for 3 hours.
4. Taste the curry, and if you think it should be sweeter, add the tomato ketchup; if it’s too spicy, add the milk.
5. Serve with plain boiled rice.
- 1.8 kg boned leg goat meat, , or mutton, cut into large chunks
- ½ handful paprika
For the curry
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 large Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp curry powder, or to taste
- ½ tsp paprika, or to taste
- 400 g can chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 hot red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 hot green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp English mustard
- about 2 tbsp tomato ketchup, optional
- about 5 tbsp milk, optional
- chopped coriander, to garnish
- plain boiled rice, to serve
Tips and suggestions
- Goat meat is available from halal butchers.