On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Chicago Edition: Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, Beef, Manny's Delicatessan
- 20:30 - You Gotta Eat Here - Rock Lobster, Harper's Burger Bar, Casa Calzone
- 21:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Stoneface Dolly's, Hadley's, Rick's Fish and Chips and Seafood House
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
Gone are days when Aaron Craze’s mum used to force him to eat liver – he serves it here with olive oil mash and balsamic figs
Method1. For the olive oil mash: put the potatoes in a pan of salted cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer until tender.
2. For the crisp sage leaves: melt the butter in a small frying pan and fry the sage until crisp. Set aside until ready to serve.
3. For the figs: melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the figs over a high heat for 5 minutes. Pour in the balsamic vinegar, reduce the heat and let the figs simmer for a further 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. For the calves’ liver and bacon: heat a grill to hot. Lay the slices of bacon on the grill tray and cook until crisp. Set aside.
5. To finish the olive oil mash, drain the cooked potatoes well and return them to the pan over a low heat to remove any extra water.
6. Pour in the olive oil, add the butter and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until thoroughly blended and smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and set aside in a warm place
7. To finish the calves’ liver and bacon: heat the butter in a large non-stick pan until foaming. Fry the liver and sage for 2 minutes on each side. Stir in the balsamic figs and remove from the heat.
8. To serve, spoon a mound of potato onto each plate and arrange the liver and figs on top. Top with the bacon and crisp sage leaves.
For the olive oil mash
For the crisp sage leaves
For the figs
For the calves’ liver and bacon