On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Plum Compote, Waldorf Salad and Flapjacks
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Slow Food
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Paris
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus soaking time
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Take the orient express to dinner with Neven Maguire's punchy dish of spicy noodles, chicken and prawns
Method1. Place the dried mushrooms and shrimps in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 30 minutes to soak.
2. Meanwhile, place the noodles in a large bowl, cover them with warm water and leave to soak for 15 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
3. Drain the liquid from the mushrooms and shrimps, reserving 2 tablespoons of it, and place in a clean bowl with the soy sauce and sherry. Set aside until needed. Squeeze any excess moisture from the mushrooms and cut into fine shreds.
4. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan until very hot, almost smoking. Add the onion, garlic and ginger plus the shredded mushrooms and drained shrimps. Cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until completely softened and all of the flavours are nicely combined.
5. Stir the curry powder and a little salt into the onion mixture and cook for another minute, stirring. Tip in the chicken or pork, prawns and spring onions, stirring quickly to combine. Add the drained noodles, then, using either a large fork or some chopsticks, toss the ingredients around so that everything is well combined.
6. Sprinkle the reserved mushroom and soy sauce mixture over the noodles, then give everything a final stir and divide immediately between warm plates to serve.
- 12 chinese dried mushrooms
- 2 heaped tbsp Chinese dried shrimps
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 225 g rice noodles
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp Madras (hot) curry powder
- 100 g cooked chicken, or pork fillet, finely shredded
- 100 g cooked, peeled prawns, chopped
- 1 bunches spring onions, finely chopped