On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage to the Core - Plum Compote, Waldorf Salad and Flapjacks
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers Everyday Gourmets - Party Food
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 1 hour cooling time
- Cook time:
- 45 min
A sweet and moist cake topped with lashings of cream cheese frosting from home cooks Christina and Bianca Sarafian
Method1. For the cake: Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease and line a 23cm cake tin.
2. Tip the flour, baking powder, spices and salt into a large bowl and stir together. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined (don’t over-mix) then fold in the pumpkin purée.
4. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.
5. For the frosting: Beat all the frosting ingredients together until smooth and well combined.
6. When the cake is cooled, remove from the tin, ice with frosting and decorate with the pecan nuts.
For the cake
- 220 g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 115 ml vegetable oil
- 170 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g pumpkin puree
For the frosting
- 375 g icing sugar
- 200 g cream cheese
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 handfuls pecans, toasted, to decorate
Tips and suggestions
- For a healthier alternative, serve this cake without the frosting. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk