Faggots with onion gravy
From: Family Supercooks
On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Joy of Curry - Joy Of Curry (1): Ep 1
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Sunday Dinners
- 22:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
A rich and hearty dish of minced beef and pig’s liver from home cooks Julie and Cameron Jones
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- Try using reduced fat vegetable suet and lean minced beef. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk
For the faggots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 450 g minced beef
- 450 g pig’s liver, roughly chopped
- 250 g suet, (from a packet)
- 2 slices brown bread, crusts removed, made into breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, leaves only
- 1 tbsp beef gravy granules
- salt and black pepper
For the onion gravy
For the mushy peas
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. For the faggots: Tip the onion into a food processor and blend until finely chopped then add the beef and liver and blend until finely minced.
2. Tip the meat mixture into a large bowl along with the suet, breadcrumbs, herbs, gravy granules and salt and black pepper. Use your hands to thoroughly mix everything together.
3. Fill a bowl with warm water and dip your hands in the water. Take a satsuma-sized piece of the faggot mixture, roll it into a ball and place it in a roasting tin. Repeat the process, dipping your hands in the water every now and then to stop them sticking, until all the mixture is used up.
4. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. For the onion gravy: While the faggots are cooking, melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Fry the onions in the butter, with some salt and black pepper, for about 10 minutes until softened and golden-brown.
6. Pour in the beef stock, bring to a boil and boil for 10-15 minutes until reduced by half.
7. Pour the gravy over the faggots and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes, or until completely cooked through and bubbling.
8. For the mushy peas: While the faggots are cooking, tip the peas and spring onions into a saucepan and cover with milk.
9. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the peas are tender then use a hand held blender to blend the peas to a coarse purée. Stir in the parsley and butter.
10. Serve the faggots and gravy with the mushy peas alongside.