On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Peking Duck
- 20:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Fish Pie
- 21:00 - Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation - State of the Nation
A rich and hearty dish of minced beef and pig’s liver from home cooks Julie and Cameron Jones
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. For the faggots: Tip the onion into a food processor and blend until finely chopped then add the beef and liver and blend until finely minced.
2. Tip the meat mixture into a large bowl along with the suet, breadcrumbs, herbs, gravy granules and salt and black pepper. Use your hands to thoroughly mix everything together.
3. Fill a bowl with warm water and dip your hands in the water. Take a satsuma-sized piece of the faggot mixture, roll it into a ball and place it in a roasting tin. Repeat the process, dipping your hands in the water every now and then to stop them sticking, until all the mixture is used up.
4. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. For the onion gravy: While the faggots are cooking, melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Fry the onions in the butter, with some salt and black pepper, for about 10 minutes until softened and golden-brown.
6. Pour in the beef stock, bring to a boil and boil for 10-15 minutes until reduced by half.
7. Pour the gravy over the faggots and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes, or until completely cooked through and bubbling.
8. For the mushy peas: While the faggots are cooking, tip the peas and spring onions into a saucepan and cover with milk.
9. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the peas are tender then use a hand held blender to blend the peas to a coarse purée. Stir in the parsley and butter.
10. Serve the faggots and gravy with the mushy peas alongside.
For the faggots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 450 g minced beef
- 450 g pig’s liver, roughly chopped
- 250 g suet, (from a packet)
- 2 slices brown bread, crusts removed, made into breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, leaves only
- 1 tbsp beef gravy granules
- salt and black pepper
For the onion gravy
For the mushy peas
- 500 g frozen peas
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 250 ml milk
- 1 small handfuls fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large knob of butter
Tips and suggestions
- Try using reduced fat vegetable suet and lean minced beef. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk