On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - John Torode's Australia - Queensland Part II
- 21:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- 21:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Summer Fruits
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 25 min
Wow your dinner guests with Paul Merrett’s wonderful combination of flavours that complement perfectly roast lamb
Method1. For the aubergine confit: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat a little oil in a casserole or ovenproof saucepan and fry the shallots and garlic until softened but not browned. Add the aubergine, anchovies and thyme, stir until combined and pour in a generous splash of olive oil.
2. Cover the pan with baking parchment and place in the oven for about 1 hour or until the aubergine is really soft. Remove from the oven and keep warm while you cook the lamb.
3. For the lamb: heat a little more oil in a heavy-based frying pan, seal the lamb rumps all over, then transfer to a roasting tin and roast for 9-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest in a warm place while you prepare the courgettes.
4. For the minted courgettes: heat a ribbed grill pan until hot and add the courgettes. Grill them on one side for about 3 minutes, then turn and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from pan, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with chopped mint and sea salt.
5. To serve, lay a few slices of courgette on each plate and top with a pile of the aubergine confit. Drizzle over a little honey and scatter over a few pine nuts. Slice the lamb and lay atop the aubergine. Finally, stir the garlic butter into the meaty pan juices and drizzle over the dish.
For the aubergine confit
- olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium aubergines, peeled and finely diced
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 sprigs thyme, leaves only
For the lamb
For the minted courgettes