On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Feel Good Food
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Family
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Summer Pleasures
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
Serve everyone their own dish of hot pot with Simon Rimmer’s vegetarian version of a classic, or make the recipe up in one big dish
Method1. To make the sauce, fry the onion and garlic in the 50 ml olive oil for about 4-5 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the tomato purée then cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. Pour in the Madeira, bring the mixture to the boil, then simmer until reduced by three-quarters. Stir in the 450ml stock then the barley, parsnips, carrots, celery and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are just tender and the barley softened. The ‘hot pots’ will continue cooking in the oven later on.
3. Spoon the vegetables and any sauce (not the potatoes) into 6 deep ramekin or pie dishes, each about 200ml capacity. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
4. Thinly slice the potatoes using a mandolin or a knife. Season with salt and pepper, then arrange in a layer over the vegetables. Brush with olive oil or butter.
5. Finish by placing the dishes (on a baking tray) in the oven for 30 minutes – or until the potatoes are cooked and browned and the vegetables heated through.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 150 ml madeira
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp pearl barley, (not soaked)
- 3 small parsnips, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 5 stalks celery, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh leaves of thyme
For the topping