On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Louisiana
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Brooklyn
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Harlem and Connecticut
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Line 2-3 baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form, then add the vinegar and whisk in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until thick and glossy.
3. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in the cocoa powder and the 25g grated chocolate.
4. Spoon tablespoonfuls of the meringue (about 24) onto the trays in rough heaps.
5. Put them into the oven then immediately turn the heat down to 120C/gas 1/2. Bake for about 45 minutes. The meringues should be crisp on the outside and chewy in middle. Transfer the meringues onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
6. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the cream. Whip the vanilla cream with the sugar to soft peaks. Sandwich the meringues together with the cream. To serve, drizzle a little of the melted chocolate over the top of each meringue then sprinkle with the tablespoon of grated chocolate.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 25 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, grated
For the filling
- 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
- 250 ml double cream
- 2 tsp caster sugar