By: From: Simon Rimmer's Dinners
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 1
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 5
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Family Favourites
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 25 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, grated
For the filling
- 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
- 250 ml double cream
- 2 tsp caster sugar
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Line 2-3 baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form, then add the vinegar and whisk in the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until thick and glossy.
3. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in the cocoa powder and the 25g grated chocolate.
4. Spoon tablespoonfuls of the meringue (about 24) onto the trays in rough heaps.
5. Put them into the oven then immediately turn the heat down to 120C/gas 1/2. Bake for about 45 minutes. The meringues should be crisp on the outside and chewy in middle. Transfer the meringues onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
6. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the cream. Whip the vanilla cream with the sugar to soft peaks. Sandwich the meringues together with the cream. To serve, drizzle a little of the melted chocolate over the top of each meringue then sprinkle with the tablespoon of grated chocolate.