Chocolate mousse with sugar-coated nuts
By: From: Market Kitchen
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus chilling
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Galton Blackiston contrasts a smooth velvety mousse with the crunchy texture of sugared nuts
For the mousse
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 75 g caster sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 425 ml double cream
For the sugared nuts
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. For the mousse: break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a food processor.
2. Put the sugar in a pan with 7 tablespoons of cold water and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, taking care not to allow the liquid to colour.
3. Blitz the chocolate in the food processor and, with the motor running, pour in the hot sugar syrup followed by the egg yolks. Blend to make a smooth mixture. Scrape the mousse into a large bowl.
4. Whip the cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Quickly fold the cream into the chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined. Pour the mousse into a glass bowl or spoon into individual ramekins and place in the fridge until firm.
5. For the sugared nuts: place all of the ingredients in a large, heavy-based non-stick frying pan and, over the lowest possible heat, gently melt the sugar.
6. Lightly stir from time to time, with an especially light touch once the sugar starts to caramelise.
7. Remove from the heat, place on a lightly buttered tray and allow to cool. (The sugared nuts can be made in advance and kept for a few days in an airtight container.)
8. Remove the mousse from the fridge 10-15 minutes before serving and serve with the sugared nuts.